August 30, 2001 :
- The Phoenix Coyotes signed goaltender Zac Bierk to a one-year contract with a club option for a second year.
August 29, 2001 :
- The Vancouver Canucks re-signed goaltender Alfie Michaud
August 24, 2001 :
- The Phoenix Coyotes re-signed goaltender Robert Esche to a three-year contract with a club option for a fourth year. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed
August 22, 2001 :
- The New York Islanders named Hall of Fame goaltender Billy Smith as their new goaltending coach
August 20, 2001 :
- The Washington Capitals re-signed two-time All-Star goaltender Olaf Kolzig to a five-year contract. Financial terms were not disclosed.
August 17, 2001 :
- The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim has agreed to terms with goaltender Jean-Sébastien Giguère on a two-year contract. Per club policy, no financial terms were disclosed
August 15, 2001 :
- The Colorado Avalanche re-signed goaltender David Aebischer to a multi-year contract with the Stanley Cup champion. Terms were not disclosed
August 14, 2001 :
- The Pittsburgh Penguins agreed to terms with free agent goaltender Rob Tallas.
- The Dallas Stars signed goaltender Chad Alban to a one-year contract
August 13, 2001 :
- The Nashville Predators re-signed goatender Mike Dunham, avoiding arbitration. Terms of the deal were not disclosed
- The Chicago Blackhawks signed goaltender Craig Andersson
August 10, 2001 :
- The Los Angeles Kings named Andy Nowicki goaltending consultant
- Minnesota Wild goaltender Manny Fernandez has been awarded a two-year, $3.05 million contract by an arbitrator. Fernandez will receive $1.45 million in 2001-02 and $1.6 million in 2002-03
August 7, 2001 :
- The Buffalo Sabres signed goaltender Tom Askey. As club policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed.
August 6, 2001 :
- The Washington Capitals re-signed goaltender Sébastien Charpentier for the 2001-02 season with a club option for 2002-03.
August 4, 2001 :
- The Buffalo Sabres agreed to terms with unrestricted free agent Bob Essensa. Terms of the deal were not disclosed
August 3, 2001 :
- The Carolina Hurricanes re-signed goaltender Jean-Marc Pelletier to a two-year contract.
August 2, 2001 :
- The Washington Capitals re-signed restricted free agent Corey Hirsch to a one-year contract with a club option for the 2002-03 season
The Florida Panthers signed unrestricted free agent Wade Flaherty to a two-year contract and signed goaltender Andrew Allen
August 1, 2001 :
- The Carolina Hurricanes named Don Edwards as their goaltender consultant
- The Montréal Canadiens signed goaltender Mathieu Garon to a one-year contracts